Pages

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Sad day for St Athans

Remember there was treasury concerns over a potential conflict of interest. The Government partly owns the defence firm Qinetiq Group plc, which is a lead member of the Metrix consortium bidding to build the academy at St Athan.

Qinetiq is the former Government defence research agency which was privatised earlier this year. It has been tipped to defeat a bid from a rival group involving BAE Systems plc. The Government has a 20 per cent stake in Qinetiq.

Do the local people know what is in store for them? So do the residents of Cardiff welcome thousands of mercenaries to their city centre to drink and join in the nightly drunken melee! I think the local politicians calling for this have kept quiet about the reality of what is in store for the local people. I predict that this place will be a focus for protest and disent.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can't say I'm too pleased about having to move to Cardiff either. I had to retrain last time we moved and I expect I'll have to do the same or be unemployed. The alternative? My husband looses his job.