Pages

Monday, June 25, 2007

Ha Ha Harriet backtracks....well what did we expect? Honesty?

Newsnight election hustings with Jeremy Paxman on Tuesday May 29:
Paxman: "Do you think the party should say sorry for what has happened [in Iraq]?
Jon Cruddas: "I do, actually, as part of the general reconciliation with the British people over what's been a disaster in Iraq...
"Harriet Harman [interrupting]: "Yep, I agree."
Cruddas: "I don't think we can actually rebuild a sense of trust and a dialogue with the British people unless we fundamentally reconcile ourselves to what the situation is on the ground and our own culpability in creating it."
Harman: "I agree with that."

BBC Radio 4's Today programme this morning:
"I've never said that the government should apologise."
How many times can I say it? I haven't asked anybody else to do anything, I've just explained what my position is."
What I said was that we had to recognise the anger and bitterness that has been caused by Iraq, and we do, whilst at the same time strongly supporting our troops."
I said I voted for the war on the basis there were weapons of mass destruction and that that was a mistaken belief and I had to acknowledge that.
I've said that if knew then what I know now, I wouldn't have voted for it."

I don't think that's what the party members elected me for."They elected me because they've known me for 20 years helping Labour win elections and also because I put on the political agenda things that otherwise might get overlooked, which are not things to do with Iraq but are things to do with family."

No comments: