Pages

Monday, June 4, 2007

You gov poll and deputy leaders on the War and Trident

Yougov has just conducted a poll of Labour Party members and trade unionists - http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/labmember.pdf

Johnson and Benn top both polls - although the fieldwork was done before the Newsnight programme. The good news is that Blears comes last.Yougov's electoral college projection, which assumes that MPs vote for the candidates they nominated, currently gives 24% of first-preference votes to Johnson, 20% to Benn, 18% to Harman, 14% to Hain, 14% to Cruddas, 10% to Blears. Cruddas has said that he'll give his own second-preference vote to Harman.

Labour Against The War quotes the various candidates as follows:
When asked: Should Britain spend billions on Trident II?

Alan Johnson: Yes.

Hilary Benn: I stood on a manifesto commitment to do so. We should keep our word. Harriet

Harman: We’ll have to keep it under review.

Jon Cruddas: No. I voted against Trident in Parliament. Hazel Blears: Yes. Britain needs its nuclear defence, and we must decide to upgrade now in order to keep Britain strong in the future.

Peter Hain: I believe in nuclear disarmament, but it must be multilateral. Until then, we should keep our nuclear deterrent.

When asked: Do you regret voting for the Iraq war?

Alan Johnson: No. Given the circumstances I would do so again.

Hilary Benn: No. We should now support Iraq’s fragile democracy against the sectarian butchers.

Harriet Harman: Yes. I would not have if I had known there were no weapons of mass destruction.

Jon Cruddas: Yes, I got it wrong and I bitterly regret that. We need to be honest with the British people about our mistakes.

Hazel Blears: No. Removing Saddam and his sons was the right thing to do.

Peter Hain: We must learn from our lessons in Iraq. But I voted to take action against Saddam Hussein, and it would be wrong to wriggle away from my decision.

No comments: